DARK SHADOWS 619
DARK SHADOWS
619
“I…I’ve got no choice. No matter how dangerous it is, I’ve got to have a showdown with Nicholas Blair.”
“It…It’s…Angelique Collins!”
“You know a lot more than you’ve been telling. I know that you’ve been under the spell of a vampire.”
“I don’t know what you’re talking about.”
“Dr. Hoffman, I never play games.”
“Barnabas is the victim of a vampire.”
“But what I don’t understand is why you’ve allowed it to go so far.”
“I don’t make serious mistakes.”
“I do believe I’ve upset you.”
“Yes, it is getting late in the day, isn’t it?”
“Don’t try my patience, doctor. Don’t do it.”
“Dr. Hoffman, I rather admire you for coming here this afternoon.”
“If anything happens to Barnabas Collins, Adam will die.”
Julia. Oddly
and maybe a first, the narration (which makes note of day time horror) stops
and Barnabas in a very close reprise says some lines and then the narration
starts again. It makes note of a special strange mental bond that exists
between Victoria Winters and Barnabas Collins, she has sensed he is in need of
her help. The narration also, earlier, mentions he is lost in the woods.
Different
but very close reprise. After hearing his groan, this time, Vicki wipes hair
from her head which she did not do last time in the cliffhanger and Vicki here, when she finds him on the ground
and he says it is too late, she says, “No! Barnabas, it isn’t! It isn’t!”
She reacts
normally but he says Julia can’t help him, no one can, no doctor but only her.
She says, “IDU.”
She asks if
she hides him, what will she tell the great many people that are worried about
him. His answer, “IDK.” And “It doesn’t matter now.”
He trusts
her? Gosh.
She says,
“IDK where I can take you.”
She knows of
a secret door to the West Wing of Collinwood which no one has used for years.
Joe in
hospital. What is that weird spot on the wall near and around part of the door
and wall? A shadow? A stain? WTF?
Joe voice
over/internal monologue about hoping Angelique will come to him tonight. Hasn’t
any doctor looked at the fang marks on his neck? Julia comes in and closes the
blinds at his request. When he asks about Barnabas she tells him maybe he can
tell her where Barnabas is. “You know a lot more than you’ve been telling. I
know that you’ve been under the spell of a vampire.”
His answer,
“I don’t know what you’re talking about.”
She tells
him that it happened to her, too. She reveals it was Tom Jennings and the same
thing that happened to him, a stake driven through his heart, must happen
again. She asks who the vampire is. He explains she must know how impossible it
is to reveal who is the vampire controlling one. Talks shifts to someone who is
controlling the vampire. She asks Joe to tell her what that means. His answer:
“IDK.”
“Don’t try
to pretend you don’t know because I know you do.”
When she
asks if it is Nicholas Blair, Joe worries for her and tells her to stay away
from that man. That she cannot go to that house as she just told him she would
go and question him. She believes Joe told her more than she hoped he would and
tells him it is all right.
He asks what
she’s going to do.
“I…I’ve got
no choice. No matter how dangerous it is, I’ve got to have a showdown with
Nicholas Blair.”
Vicki brings
Barnabas to a room that looks suspiciously like the one Adam was kept in and
that Adam kept her in. Why does she think that no one has used this? Did Blair
wipe her memory? It’s been so long ago, I can’t recall! She asks why Barnabas
wants to hide from everyone.
As Blair
answers the door to a knock from Julia, we see a studio light on the ceiling
gleaming at us. He seems genuinely delighted to see her and she gives him a
good afternoon. He meant to call her to thank her for the delightful evening
they spend at the Old House. She suggests they level with each other and stop
playing games. “I know what you are and you know why I’m here.”
“Dr.
Hoffman, I never play games.”
“Barnabas is
the victim of a vampire.”
He fakes
amusement and lies to her. She says, “But what I don’t understand is why you’ve
allowed it to go so far.”
He explains:
“I don’t make serious mistakes.”
She explains
what she realizes he does not know: that Barnabas disappeared last night and is
weak and if not found, he may die. Bravely, she reveals that she knows he has a
plan involving Adam and his mate, which he was behind the creation of…Eve. He
still fakes innocence but asks if she knows where Barnabas is but she would not
be at his house if she did.
Julia
smiles, “I do believe I’ve upset you.”
He fakes he
must get to his work. “Yes, it is getting late in the day, isn’t it?” she
taunts him.
“Don’t try
my patience, doctor. Don’t do it.”
As she asks
if Barnabas is in his house, we see a mic shadow on the far upper left.
They know if
Barnabas dies, Adam will, too. He will do everything he can to help her. Before
she exits, he stops her, “Dr. Hoffman, I rather admire you for coming here this
afternoon.” Not sure what he means, he
shows her out, smiling, her being puzzled. She leaves.
In the
woods, Julia gets her own voice over. She thinks Blair was lying when he said
he didn’t know where Barnabas was. That wasn’t a lie, actually. She thinks
maybe he isn’t aware of where Barnabas is but knows when the sun goes down, he
must take some kind of action but not what that action will be. She must stay
and watch.
Barnabas
asleep for hours, wakes up. He asks Vicki what time it is. She says,
“IDK.” He asks if the sun has gone down
and when she tells him it has, he asks her to bring him a cross. She says,
“IDU” and he says, “There’s no need for you to understand.”
Angelique
goes into the room where Nicholas is, “Good evening, Nicholas. You’re looking
very chipper these days. I think Maggie Evan’s company has had a good effect on
you.” He is smelling a carnation or
something.
In scary
silence, he’s rather even more menacing but he slaps her. When she claims
ignorance, she says, “IDK what you’re talking about.” He explains. She tells him she left Barnabas
in a hut in the woods between Collinwood and the Old House. He explains that
under ordinary circumstances he would let her have her precious Barnabas but he
can’t now. “If anything happens to Barnabas Collins, Adam will die.” He also adds, “If you’ve gone too far this
time…” He’s punished her before and it
does not seem to affect her.
He wants her
to get Barnabas back to the Old House.
And wants
her to stay away from him. He tells her that she has made him late for Maggie
and when she admits that he does very well in looking after his own interests.
“Well, that’s one of the advantages of being the master, my dear.”
He kisses
the flower and touches her cheek with it.
He is
stunningly creepy.
He takes his
hat and gloves and leave. Earlier Julia had her own gloves.
Outside,
Julia has another voice over. She is about ready to leave when she sees
Nicholas leave his house. She wonders if he is going to where the vampire is
hiding and if she should follow him. She contemplates going inside to get
Barnabas out if he is in there. Julia hides behind a tree as a woman comes out
of the house.
After
Angelique passes her, she comes out and Julia gasps, raises her hand and
touches her own face. “It…It’s…Angelique Collins!”
Review: just
terrific again. Moving everything along. Everyone is in top form again.
Nicholas is a very multi leveled villain.
Dark Shadows bloopers to watch out for:
When Barnabas moans, “Please, Vicki… trust me,” there’s a clatter in the studio.
When Nicholas walks to the door, the camera pulls back too far, and you can see one of the studio lights.
If Nicholas’ house is called “the House by the Sea,” then why is Julia able to spy it on from what is apparently a deep forest? I’m super confused by what the landscape is like “near the sea” these days.
While she’s watching Nicholas’ house, she makes a big deal about how the sun will be going down soon, and we hear birds chirping on the soundtrack — but the lighting suggests that it’s the middle of the night.
Given the blocking on their tiny little sliver of a forest set, there is a one hundred percent chance of Angelique seeing Julia as she walks by, but she doesn’t.
John: How would Vicki know about a secret door that hasn't been used for years? All of the secret doors we know about seem to be under heavy rotation...
Christine: Yeah, I think the secret's out on the secret door.
John: I have to give Julia credit for throwing down the gauntlet, saying she's going to have a showdown with Blair. It was quite the battle of wills, and even Blair, without admitting anything, compliments her on her efforts.
Christine: That was an entirely enjoyable exchange! It's precisely the reason Barnabas should be psychically dialing Julia for help instead of Vicki. I wonder where Vicki is going to find a cross. Do you think she'll have to go all the way to Bangor to get one? Angelique will surely have chroma-keyed herself into the West Wing room by then.
John: The only thing more exciting than Blair's psychological battle with Julia was his physical altercation with Angelique. Love the buildup from his silent rage to the clearly telegraphed bitch slap. Frankly, I thought this might have been the last straw for Angelique. After so many failed attempts to control her, we know that she can't be trusted. It seems to me that he's basically risking all of his plans on the hope that she doesn't fail him again.
Christine: It seems certain that she will disobey him again, despite his flowery threats. If he doesn't expect it, then he's not as powerful as we've been led to believe.




























Comments
Post a Comment