DARK SHADOWS 482
















 

DARK SHADOWS  482

“You let me see the sun for the first time in almost two centuries. You risked your life and this is your payment.”

 

“Wow. Come to Maggie Evan’s house and hear her latest nightmare.”

 

“Are you kidding. I can’t wait for the next installment.”

 

“I’m a firm believer that a girl should speak her mind.”

“I’ll make coffee.”

“That might help.”

 

 

Vicki. No reprise, however Barnabas and Eric discuss everything and give us a nice rundown of what’s going on. They talk about Cassandra/Angelique. As he moves through his study office room doors, Eric calls her an inefficient witch. Barnabas knows better, and in answer to that says, “Oh no.”  The talisman is gone. One question: WHY would Lang just leave it there? He knows what it can do to protect him against her. On the other hand, why wouldn’t Angelique just attack him the moment she has it and/or the moment she realizes it is not on him. All she had to do was try TWICE! She does neither, before or after she gets it.

 

 

When Eric asks where they can get another one, Barnabas answers with an IDK.

 

Barnabas laments and says, “I’m sorry. You’ve given me the ability to see the sun again,”  and he goes on to say he’s given Eric this: possible death. If he had to do it over again, Eric says he would. It’s odd that Lang seems both hero and villain, both savior of Barnabas and madman monster who wants dead bodies and points guns at Barnabas, Julia and Jeff, injecting Jeff and threatening to cut his head off and yet…somehow he’s sympathetic as the man who cured Barnabas.

 

Barnabas contemplates going to Collinwood and dragging her out of it and burning her to death. Jeff comes to the doors and questions Eric about what happened to him. It is almost dawn and he missed meeting Vicki. He gets in a IDU. And, “It doesn’t make any sense to me.”

 

 

Barnabas bids him farewell but is none too pleased that Jeff is staying in Collinsport. Jeff also claims, before he leaves, that he will remember what happened sooner or later. When Jeff leaves, I’m not sure what we see outside the door, but it looks like the set we see outside Collinwood’s doors or the Old House doors?

 

 

Barnabas, after Jeff is gone, reassures Eric that he trusts Julia’s skills at a hypnotist, he can attest to that. OKAY NOW I AM SURE WE’RE IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE. SINCE WHEN DID HE EVER REALLY TRUST JULIA’S SKILLS TO KEEP MAGGIE AND WILLIE FORGETTING? In fact, now he mentions that Eric needs another pair of strong hands and a loyal person as well…that Willie Loomis, his one time servant can help. Does he really want that mess that HE caused added to this dangerous mix? He tells Lang that Julia can get Willie out of the mental institution he is in. He also tells Eric about the dream curse.

 

Maggie Evans in her cottage with the familiar and cozy Maggie music. Melancholy. Okay she has a nice blue top on BUT WHAT IS THAT SHE’S WEARING ON HER LEGS? Is it a dress? Pants? A mixture of both? It is colorful I’ll say that and it looks like two giant pot holders on her legs! It’s hilarious.

 

She tries to take her mind off the dream she had and thinks of sewing but can’t stop thinking about the nightmare dream. Oh, and she’s talking to herself out loud (“I can always sew something.”)

 

 

She thinks about the start of it: that knock…just as a knock occurs to her door. She opens it and sees Jeff and tries to close it until he tells her who he is. He’s had breakfast at the diner (remember that place?). 

 

Maggie briefly tells him about the dream and her reluctance to let him in despite that her father said it is a good idea for him to stay here (hard to think of Sam letting a strange man sleep here let alone Joe wanting that!). He wants to know the dream, “I’d like to know what I do in other people’s dreams.”  He apologizes if he is a little too forward.

 

 

Maggie tells him the dream and repeats the poem. She gets in an IDK. She also gets in two, “I didn’t know what to do.”

 

 

She tells him she could not run past the skull which was looking at her and she couldn’t shut the door behind her, it would not shut. Jeff jokes, “I can’t wait until the next installment.”   Maggie feels better now that she’s told him the dream, almost like she’s never had it. She flubs over a line (“If I didn’t…If I hadn’t….”) and gets an IDK what I would have done.

 

Vicki knocks and comes in and tells Maggie she’s angry—she stayed up all night waiting for Jeff to meet her. He tells her using an IDU it but he fell asleep. She tells Jeff she even went to Lang’s house at 10 PM but he told her he hadn’t seen Jeff…Lang lied. Jeff thinks he recognizes her bracelet…and the name Rev. Trask seems familiar to him. He is angry that perhaps the only reason Vicki likes him is because he looks like and may be this Peter Bradford. “What if I’m somebody you hate?” 

 

Night and later: Maggie is in a gray outfit and turns on the porch light for “Pop”. Jeff asks her, “Is Vicki as good as I think she is?”  She tells him he’s just not used to being in love. She goes to bed. Jeff falls asleep in the chair reading a book but even before he seems fully asleep, the lights start entering the tunnel like effect of the dream curse dream. Eric is at the door and beckons him, even though he doesn’t want to go…Jeff does. Once at the door and it is open, Lang points and waves in a most peculiar  fashion. Inside the area he is locked in, Jeff finds no walls, only a few doors and a lot of fog. The music box plays and he opens a door, sees the skull (which is hilarious as it sits resting on a stick!!!!), the music stops, then starts   again. Jeff opens a new door and sees a guillotine, which has some blood on it and which falls. Jeff wakes up and seems…strange. He jerks a few times as if this is Roger Davis acting…poorly. Three jerks to indicate he’s scared when he seems just frustrated! But it's okay.

 

A not bad episode actually. Good acting except for Davis at the very end though I wrote that a long time ago now. Now, I think he’s okay. He kept his overacting shouting to a minimum… it could have been so much worse during the actual dream. Instead just the last few moments when he wakes up are …bad---well, no, they’re not. I like Barnabas’s feelings of thanks toward Eric and that he wants to keep him safe. Why wouldn’t he take Angelique out and burn her up? It would be great and save him  a lot of trouble! On the positive note, Jeff, Maggie and Vicki have a good rapport even if Jeff is worried about Vicki not liking him if she finds out he is not Peter Bradford.

 

An entertaining episode and I love the Dream Curse.      


        

Maggie's Recitation of the Dream Curse
Through sight and sound and faceless terror,
through endless corridors of trial and error,
a blazing head of light shall burn, 
and one door leads to the point of return.

Dr. Lang's Recitation of the Dream Curse
Through night and sound and faceless terror,
through endless corridors by trial and error,
a head of blazing light does burn, 
and one door leads to the point of return. 

                                    

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DARK SHADOWS 597

DARK SHADOWS 599

DARK SHADOWS 603