DOCTOR WHO - SHADA





































































 

DOCTOR WHO-SHADA ep 1 and 2; and the rest

 

 

DOCTOR: Shada. No. You?

PARSONS: Doesn't mean anything to me.

DOCTOR: Well, Mister Skagra, or whatever it is you call yourself, you've killed a Time Lord and a very old friend of mine. It's time you and I had a little chat. K9!

 

 

 

What struck me this time watching-- is the importance of books: people treasure them, use them, even the villain, huddle with them, use them to prop up the dying Prof’s head, and even grasp them when being faintly blasted to the floor! Academics is important to the Doctor, Romana and even K9, the Prof, Chris, Clare and others. It’s not the pompous, mainstream academics, however that seem to overpopulate the McCoy Era (all 12 TV stories! And the New Adventures). There’s also so much less popular culture indulged in by the Doctor and Romana and more appreciation for art and classic literature rather than, say the badges Ace wears or the 7th Doctor performing for someone (even the Gods of RRRRRRAGGGNOORRRROK). In fact, Tom, Lalla, and K9 seem to shun pop culture when it’s too mainstream. There’s something freeing about this that is almost a jail sentence when McCoy, Aldred (a boom box, really?), and the NA authors take control of DW’s direction and this direction never fully stopped (even the New Series which appreciates books seems to indulge in this, given that RTD WAS a NA author and puts in THE LION KING in David’s first story). Well books and tea (lumps and sugars).

 

Again, I love this, SHADA, I mean. Even when the jokes are just puzzling (the two lumps joke:  I mean I get it, a lump can be anything and from the way Chris looks at the tea, I’m not sure what it does actually contain but it is not overly funny joke), the humor is wonderful and very anti-collegiate while being so very college.

 

The animated parts look adequate and do the job, the rest looks wildly crystal clear and remastered…

 

…but…

 

…somehow I miss the days when we had my now departed friend Rob Wesmin reading from the teleprompter (no, rather that was too blurry and type challenged to read off of, from a script) all the parts that were not filmed while the rest of the Gallifreyan Embassy of Long Island listened and laughed at his inflection, which was just perfect and we all watched a grainy bootleg of the filmed parts of SHADA found by and traded for by another fan.

 

Still, I’m glad those days are over and everything that’s available is available…mostly. There are still parts of the trailers from the 2005 and 2006 seasons that ARE not anywhere and I can’t find the Tom Baker yelling about how to hold tea direction from the director of SHADA anywhere. Nor Tom’s yelling “FUCK” during his own slip up during THE PIRATE PLANET. Love Tom and love it all really.

 

The story is a mystery at this point. What is this strangely dressed man (okay, we’ve had some curious fashion victims on DW before…the Archimandrite in ANDROIDS OF TARA and some might say---not me---the bare legs of the pseudo companion in KEYS OF MARINUS….he’s hot actually…BUT Skagra’s outfit of fedora, white outfit, and white cape and high heeled boots takes the fashion disaster award!) doing with a huge ball, men on a space station, and odd voices emanating from the ball. The solution to this is a brilliant idea but more on that when we find out what it actually is.

 

Prof Chronotis is a wonderful character, funny, charming, forgetful (maybe?), and doddering as an old, old, old man/Time Lord/Gallrefrean who is retired and who admits he took at least the odd two or seven books from Gallifrey when he left…having just walked into the Panopticon Archives and taken the most dangerous one. I love the BBC joke, the funny character moment of “Or maybe it’s red!” from his character and so much more. Seeing him get attacked in ep2 is hard to watch but I love Romana’s eerie, wonderfully alien-ish delivery of, “The Professor isn’t human,” when Chris mentions no human can deliver a message via Morse code using his heart! Pure alien-comedy Doug Adams.

 

Chris and Clare seem nicely drawn characters and frankly, they, too seem to be pseudo companions. I love their reactions to things and to each other. More on that later.

 

http://www.drwhoguide.com/who_5m.htm

 

Let me stop here for a moment and gather my thoughts on this era and Tom Baker and the other Doctors and the New Adventures. While doing this, I’m reading this: https://www.atbpublishing.com/product/bookwyrm-an-unauthorised-unconventional-guide-to-the-doctor-who-novels-volume-1/

 

So Gosh Help me!

 

In any case, while I understand the lore and lure of having the Doctor be manipulative and sneaky (and I still widely and wildly insist that BLAKE’S SEVEN’s Avon and other characters had a HUGE, larger than known influence on the New Adventures and even DOCTOR WHO from 1981 to the present day of making the Doctor edgy and violent as well as the show in general), that Doctor, mostly Doctor 7 (but also 11 as well), is NOT the Doctor I want to travel with.

 

Tom’s Doctor is. He’s alien but not so alien he can’t be a close friend. He’s scary and admits that we, even his friends, might be dead during the course of most any adventure. BUT he never seems to, sometimes through sheer luck and near misses, lose a companion to death as Docs 1 and 5 do (I would count 11, too but since Moffat’s era has every main character come back to life, Moffat almost doesn’t count…for anything). Some might argue that pseudo companions like Scarman DO die and the Doc seems cold about it and he is. BUT it is seasons 15 through 18 that the Tom Doctor I see is the one I’d want most to be with.

 

Mind that I LOVE all the Doctors (except 11, most of the time) but this is a list of why I would want Tom to be my traveling companion …my Doctor so to speak, though I would not mind meeting the others on one of those special adventures…. (?)

 

Doc1: he’s cranky and warm at times but also a bit on the old side so as to be a grandfather figure and not always a ball of fun to travel with. 

 

Doc2: a bit manipulative and can’t fight his own battles so…me having to step up far too much and fight his battles…might not make him the ideal Doc to be with or friends with but it makes for, like Doc 1, fun viewing all the time.

 

Doc3 is just the opposite. He fights his battles all too much and he offends those around him a lot, often making friends but it would seem I’d have to step in like Jo in DAEMONS part 1 and smooth over this Doc’s more conceited and nasty side.

 

Doc5 is a bit to frustrated and in over his head. He also lets his companion(s) die and doesn’t even try to against time to save them. Love this Doc but less so once Adric died. His ineffective routine and his “there should have been another way,” while realistic and great story fodder makes him one of the Docs I would not want to be MY traveling Doc.

 

Doc6: uhm…mmm. Far too much of a mess for me to want to sail with. Plus, we might always be fighting. Or not.

 

Doc7: far too silly at times and far too dark at other times. I don’t like having a friend who doesn’t tell me what’s going on.

 

Doc8: not a lot to go on other than the books where he’s a mess most of the time or the audios where…he’s mumbling a lot of the time and …a mess some of the time. Love this Doctor, though. A lot.

 

Doc9: seems great but on closer examination, he plays favorites and that’s a no no in my book. He can also be quite hard on others and also…if you watch closely, while he can and does sacrifice himself for others (Doc 5 would, too), he also lets a lot of others fight his battles for him and die for him.

 

Doc10: might be ideal but…so many die around him, he’s sometimes ineffective but has a very high, too high opinion of himself. Far too full of himself for me.

 

Doc11: let’s save this for the Matt Smith/Moffat “braving it all” rewatch.

 

Doc12: Love this Doc but his stories sucked and his almost constant crankiness, jealousy, and childishness about his companions’ lives annoyed me. He also, like 11, made these exhausting (for us, not for him) long winded speeches that just…would wear me down…a lot. Jealous, stalker-ish (again like Doc11)…

 

Doc13: well, maybe. Not sure I’d want to travel with a female Doctor. Love her, though.

 

Back to SHADA!

 

https://www.atbpublishing.com/product/bookwyrm-an-unauthorised-unconventional-guide-to-the-doctor-who-novels-volume-1/

 

 

http://www.drwhoguide.com/who_5m.htm

 

OKAY I’m back from finishing SHADA and rewatched a good part of part 1 and all of part 2 again and then the rest. LOVE IT. I could easily re-watch it all again later today! I love it. Admittedly the first half is more enjoyable as the ideas flow and the location work helps the jokes are profitable and wonderful. I love the other characters, too, even the villain. I am even crazy about Skagra’s tailor.

 

Okay, another side note: the whimsy of Doctor Who during this time…Lalla, Tom, K9, Douglas Adams, the jokes, the quick wit, and even the lamer jokes at this time has never been equaled in my opinion and it flames inspiration in me, though, of course I feel as if, with the theme song changing and the jokes toned down coming up (though not entirely), an era is over in my watching. DOCTOR WHO, Season 17, 16, and Tom’s entire era is inspirational, creative, wonderful, funny, scary, disturbing, and laugh out loud with only four stories not worth much (if you’ve followed me at all, you can probably recite which four) but to be fair, ALL seasons from season 1 to 17 are just…solidly wonderful.

 

I’m currently reading BOOKWYRM, an excellent book about the New Adventures, which, were also wonderful but…the whimsy for the most part is overshadowed by a lot of death (we DO get death in SHADA and you cannot get darker than a man who has his mind or rather, his intelligence, sucked out, falling face first into the water and left there to drown!) darkness, grim, a manipulative and almost evil, unlikable Doctor, some strange sex S&M scenes, a “don’t care about violence and good people dying” and a sense of pessimism. This sense, driven by most NA authors, NEVER goes away. As William Hartnell once said, and perhaps I agree to an extent, evil entered into the heart of the thing but I feel it entered in during the 1990s and maybe even before that in the Davison Era as Eric Saward and JNT tried to ape the negative tone of BLAKE’S 7 and made DW fail miserably. Dark, death and grim are all…relevant story beats for DW and its media expanded universe and even the manipulative, dark Doctor of the New Adventures and NOW, quite a few BIG FINISH audios as well (the 8th Doctor, to unfairly single out just one Doctor, seems to be, currently a negative extension of the NA 7th Doctor “let’s make time go my way regardless of who it hurts” Doctor).  Again, all of it is good story possibilities and a viable story outlet…I’m just not sure I like it that way. Would I want to travel with the dark and almost evil 7th Doctor? Or the recent BF audio 8th Doctor? Probably not. They’re not fun. They’re not as fun as Tom Baker.

 

Again, to be fair, since seasons 15 through, say 19, have been unequaled in my mind, even by most of the new series, I must say Chris E and David Tennant, came close, at times, to the whimsy and fun of TOM BAKER and the show at this time. And I love it. There’s nothing better than that feel of humor mixing comfortable and at times, uncomfortably with dark and death. Moffat got that all wrong with forced humor and overtly dark themes masquerading as “It’s all okay.” Matt Smith tried, though and in his first season, now almost all rewatched (just have the last 20 min of his last first season ep) but the humor, unlike the humor and fake whimsy of McCoy’s early stories, was okay. After that, Matt, like McCoy’s first season, was all forced and fake and it felt fake. In fact, BAD DW, when it’s bad is not something that matters. It’s not even MST3K worthy bad. It’s just when DW is so good and so inspiring, even with flaws, as SHADA has many, I’m sure, it can’t be beat. Comparing that to really bad, badly written, badly acted, overly and overtly depressing stories (HAPPINESS PATROL and almost ANY New Adventure novel), DW feels like misery and is quite depressing.

 

Anyway, SHADA the animated TOM version ( I don’t even go into the HORRID 8th Doctor/Romana remake that some feel is more canon just because it fits right in as a later Doctor…it clearly doesn’t and it’s clearly lame and not funny and not interesting at all and is totally forced) feels as if it may have cut out a few things here or there and at the same time also feels as if it added a few things here or there, some for the better, some for the worst. Memory does cheat at times because I really thought K9 was taken over by the spheres in some scene. Clearly he was not.

 

So what else? Love the bike “chase”, love the standby being knocked over the sphere, love the “cliffhangers” and I had to figure out where they were from memory because this was one long version with no cliffhangers and no episode breaks.

 

I also think that the Doctor doing the vortex walk between TARDISes is better in the older versions…in some we see the vortex as it looked from the titles of the show, which is neater than what appears to be a bridge like the one in HORNS OF NIMON from TARDIS to ship. The idea is not a force field that the Doctor can crawl down but vortex swimming and this is lost in this animated version. I also can’t find my copy of the original ANIMATED version from a few years ago. I really believe they animated EVERYTHING. The version I’m watching now has the live bits mixed in, which is better.

 

Another bit I’m not happy about is when Skagra scans the Doctor’s mind, here the scenes of Romana 1 and 2 being the foremost thing on his mind and the clips from past episodes of this season and the season before are MISSING. It almost ruins the latter half of this.

 

In a few scenes in …well, I’m not sure where he was…possibly in his TARDIS storeroom or something…we see shelves behind and to the side of the Doctor and while I could not identify everything on them, MOST of them looked very familiar. One looked like a Movellan gun, another was a CyberMan Earthshock head, and another was the robot parrot from THE PIRATE PLANET. I also thought I saw the claw of the ROBOT from, erhm, ROBOT. I don’t know if I like this sort of thing. I liked it here but I’m hearing disturbing comments that FURY FROM THE DEEP and/or FACELESS ONES and/or MACRA TERROR contain posters on the walls of various places with, among other things, the Roger Delgado Master, the John Sims Master (ewl), and even Missy? As I’m sure (100 percent positive) that these things were not in the originals, I feel these are just stupid gimmicks, indicative of today’s fandom and what they drool over and of the DW makers in general. I want the Animated Recons of what the BBC STUPIDLY erased to match the original episodes as close as possible. I don’t want built in EASTER EGGS. It defeats the purpose. So while that is not so bad here, in SHADA in the TARDIS, where such things might be lying around and which the production team MIGHT have put in…why not to the original idea of what they were doing to do and put a Zygon, a Cyberman, and a Dalek in the cages rather than what looks like New Series aliens or STAR TREK glue on appendages to the nose and forehead aliens?

 

 http://www.chakoteya.net/DoctorWho/17-6.htm

 

That said SHADA is one of the few DOCTOR WHO stories that can give me joyful chills and happy goosebumps. Lalla Ward is terrific, and I love when she answers Chris’, “The human mind doesn’t work that way,” with a chillingly delivered, “The Professor isn’t human.”  I also love that the Prof puts his mind into Clare and so many other double entendre lines such as Tom’s, “Good then, come on over here and hold onto this!”

 

And then as Clare’s lever gets too hot to hold, there’s Romana’s, “Well, then hold it down with a pencil,” which used to bring laughs from the DW group I first watched this with.

 

Practically every line is somehow needed or funny. And we get, without ALL the pomp of other stories and all the great big echo chambers of over emphasized drama, a lot of GALLIFREY history.

 

I’m also not sure what to make of the newly filmed live action version of Tom at the end. It’s nice that he did this but fictionally within the story, not sure it makes much sense but there you have it, it is fun and cute. He even gets to look at the camera again and address us (?)!

 

Tom goes F word in this studio highlight that is or was on the DVD and not on the Blu Ray? 

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6alvv4

 

Past review:

                                Okay I'll preface this with the fact that I love

                                this version of SHADA over the 8th Doctor

                                version. If others like that version over the

                                Tom Baker one, I'm sorry. So sorry. I don't mean

                                to say that you are not able to like that or

                                that you are bad people if you do. I just found

                                the 8th Doctor no 4th Doctor and Paul, as good

                                as he is in most things, was not in SHADA. And

                                he's no Tom Baker but who is? And WHO is?

                                Anyway, the best way to watch this was the way

                                that EMBASSY did it back in the mid 1980s (I

                                think) with someone reading the script as it

                                shows up on the telecine word processor on the

                                screen...and we couldn't see it.

 

                                The late, great Rob Wessmin (and God I hope I'm

                                spelling his name correctly and he's greatly

                                missed as, sadly, he passed away awhile

                                ago) actually read the script bits that were not

                                visualized. Mind you, this was WAY before Tom

                                Baker's video narration came out with the

                                televised bits and as great as Tom is/was in

                                that video, they left a whole lot out of the

                                script by having him just synopsize the

                                unfilmed/unmade bits. Rob did a GREAT FANTASTIC

                                job reading those and he loved every moment of

                                it, I could tell.

 

                                Anyway onward to a story that again, I love to

                                pieces...SHADA!

 

                                1

 

                                This episode is oddly almost intact. After a

                                three min or so intro by Tom Baker ambling

                                around a museum ("I always feel at home in

                                museums") of old Doctor Who monster suits ("Beat

                                him, beat him, beat him"), Tom/Doctor Four(?)

                                finds a Karg outfit and starts to remember SHADA

                                ("SHHH!").

 

                                The video release adds music to the show and it

                                sometimes jars. I recall watching this with the

                                EMBASSY at that meeting and the strangeness of

                                not having any sound effects and music made this

                                seem...even better!

 

                                In any event, we have Tom Baker, Doctor Who, and

                                Douglas Adams. Any one of those things alone

                                would be a great exercise in entertainment but

                                together...we have gold, especially in ep1. To

                                digress however, Tom did fail in SHERLOCK HOLMES

                                THE HOUND OF THE BASKERVILLES mostly because he

                                was so Doctor-ish in my mind but not in that

                                show...he played it serious and yet in my mind

                                he was the Doctor and then he wasn't doing any

                                Doctor-ish things (or rather not doing any

                                Fourth Doctor-ish things). It didn't help that

                                one of the guest stars was Caroline John (Liz

                                Shaw). I kept expecting him to say, "Liz, it's

                                me. Me me. A new face but still the same

                                person." ANd her: "You've changed!" Anyway...

 

                                SHADA: the location work gives this a new feel,

                                something we haven't really seen of late and

                                probably not this grand since...oh since...the

                                Pertwee era (and SPEARHEAD FROM SPACE at that).

                                It gives it that 70s UK feel...which is both

                                cheap and grand at the same time. The first

                                scene of the scientists having seizures is a bit

                                disturbing. Prof. Chronitis: just a marvelous

                                character and worthy of both DW and Adams. I

                                just love him and the actor playing him is just

                                perfect. Almost all of the jokes work. And the

                                fact that he's a Time Lord without us having

                                been hit over the head that he is...and on

                                Earth...is just so quaint. And lovely. Chris

                                Parsons is introduced and that's just great as

                                well.

 

                                The villain: Skagra is flamboyant. I can tell

                                you both the villain the Prof being with letter

                                S and I think this might have been deliberate to

                                get us to think that the Prof was the villain

                                and for a few moments I thought maybe he and

                                Skagra were one and the same or that maybe the

                                Prof alone was the villain or something even

                                stranger than what we got. What we got wasn't

                                bad though. All that comes later in a brilliant

                                twist of "I want to rule the universe".

 

                                Back to the punting scene for a few: it's rare

                                we get to see the Doctor relaxing. We get some

                                hints of it and some aborting holidays and we

                                get to see him fishing...but here a wonderful

                                scene of relaxation at Cambridge punting occurs.

                                The Doctor and Romana seem almost human here and

                                almost domestic. It's a great scene and

                                wonderfully shot. And scripted and acted.

 

                                The Doctor has visited the Prof before and once

                                in a different body. We find out about the book

                                that Chronitis stole from Gallifrey among a few

                                others (4 or 7 others) and that it is dangerous.

                                The villain starts his plans, but just what are

                                they?

 

                                A creature is listening.

 

                                A great start to a story and with lots of funny

                                bits. The Doctor tells Romana to search for a

                                red book but the Prof, off camera, says, "May be

                                green..."

 

                                This just does it so right. It's an academic,

                                down to Earth Doctor Who with spices of

                                spaceness and outer worldliness mixed with that

                                Cambridge spirit and that anti establishment

                                feel that only the 4th Doctor and Romana can

                                bring to it without being overwhelmed by

                                crassness or a violent feel. All that talk about

                                tea helps. I can't praise this enough. It's just

                                so entertaining.

 

 

 

                                   

 

 

2-3

                                The Prof tries to help them find the book that

                                Chris took but his memory is like a...he can't

                                recall what his memory is like, right away. He

                                does recall it's like a sieve. Lots of funny

                                stuff including the joke that he can't remember

                                Chris's name but can recall what it starts with.

                                He says, "BB..." and the Doc and Romana finish

                                with, "C". Skagra gets normal clothes for a bit

                                and kills someone, taking his mind while he

                                fishes and leaving a body to fall face down in a

                                lake he was fishing out of. Or least it looks

                                that way. I tend to recall that the script might

                                have had someone come and fish the man out.

 

                                There's a joke about the TARDIS kitchen and

                                where it is or something like that. Chris and

                                Claire are prominent members of the story now and

                                the Doctor gets to race away on a bike with the

                                book but loses it. Visually the chase is

                                interesting and the Doctor adds his bike bell to

                                a song being sung on the streets.

 

                                In the meantime, the Prof is attacked by the

                                sphere and loses his mind but can briefly

                                communicate...with his heartbeat!

 

                                A really creepy line from Romana to Chris is,

                                "The Professor isn't human," and Lalla delivers

                                it with such conviction and amusement and

                                alien-ness it sends shivers down my spine.

 

                                There's also some nonsense with an invisible

                                spaceship. And some great stuff as the Doctor

                                tries to talk the computer out of keeping him in

                                the ship. Also some silly stuff about K9

                                blasting a wall when Romana and later Chris say

                                the word blast.

 

                                In any event, a most gratifying two episodes. Oh

                                and Claire has taken the Prof's TARDIS by

                                mistake out of its place in the university. And

                                the Prof has had all life functions cease. The

                                Doctor, correctly assumes the Prof has used up

                                all his generations...but has he? And is he

                                dead?

 

                                4

                                Some very interesting things going on here.

                                Mostly Gallifrean wise: for one, the Doctor

                                turns the spaceship into a TARDIS with some

                                jiggery pokery and realigning the ship from

                                analog to digital! Another thing is he hooks K9

                                into a Krarg. On his mind, continually seems to

                                be Romana.

 

                                Another thing: the Prof comes back to life when

                                Claire tinkers with his VERY OLD Tardis and he

                                calls himself a paradox in an anomaly. She made

                                his timelines cross or something. But he came

                                back to life!

 

                                Another thing is that the Doctor tells Chris he

                                has a lot to unlearn and one of those things is

                                Einstein theory.

 

                                We also get to the crux of Skagra's background

                                and what he's doing on this ship, what is plan

                                is or part of it.

 

                                There's also plenty of jokery from Tom but

                                nothing too over the top.

 

                                All in all an entetaining ep

 

 

                                5

                                So he was Salayvin all the time? A great bit but

                                not really that surprising, after he put his

                                mind into Claire but to be honest, I wasn't sure

                                what was going on and who was who until the

                                reveal and it made sense all the way through. I

                                love the figuring out things bits with the tea

                                and all and the Prof continues to amuse and be a

                                lovely character. The idea is revealed that

                                Skargra doesn't want to rule the universe but be

                                the universe by putting his mind into everyone

                                in it. A great idea and some great fun in this

                                episode. It's also the scene I think where Tom

                                gets nuts over being directed or rather as the

                                lady that plays Clare is directed to pour tea a

                                certain way. On You tube there's a Tom cursing

                                bit from this scene. In any event, a good ep.

 

 

 

                                   

 

 

 

 

 

 

6

 

                                Just a joy to behold, read, whatever. The Prof

                                is as charming as ever, what a great Time Lord!

                                The ideas flow and the Doctor goes vortex

                                walking. It's a shame that this story...well

                                it's canon to me...but this story should not be

                                thought of as lost because it brings to the

                                table such things as vortex walking, older

                                TARDISes that can bring a Time Lord back to life

                                even if he's used up his regenerations, the Time

                                Lord Prison, a Time Lord who can throw his mind,

                                and a villain who can or tries to put his mind

                                in everyone.

 

                                Tom acts like Tom and the Doctor, he and Lalla,

                                especially Lalla, act very very alien here; they

                                both have good companions to play off of with

                                Clare and Chris, a sort of younger version of

                                Ian and Barbara but with more wit. At the same

                                time, both Tom and Lalla imbue the Doctor and

                                Romana with a warmth and care not often seen in

                                this time as they interact with the Professor.

                                THe Doctor, as he did to K9 at one point this

                                season, puts a pin on Romana.

 

                                The ending is just so quaint with the tea and

                                all. The way Skargra is defeated and that hat

                                with the table attached predates HOME

                                IMPROVEMENT by many years.

 

                                I wish this would be released on DVD soon.

 

                                Oh and another observation of the TARDIS window

                                pane being...somewhat broken!

 

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DOCTOR WHO: THE STAR BEAST

LOST IN SPACE-the two unaired pilots NO PLACE TO HIDE

Things new DOCTOR WHO fans think that are sort of wrong and my response to the TEN MISTAKES video. What and why do new fans think these things?