DARK SHADOWS 624

DARK SHADOWS  624




“I am not as stupid as you seem to think I am.”


 “But you can do so many strange things.” 


“You’ve been very gone for a very long time.”

“I lost track of the time.”

 

“Eve, you are very beautiful and many men would want you and if there is someone else I want to know about it.”


“I have no control over human emotions. Now if Eve has learned to love you, she came to it of her own accord as I told you she would.” 


“I don’t know what to say.”

 

“Right now if there is someone, I think I’d kill him.”




Vicki. The narration tells us Collinwood has towers (plural). The first rays of morning light. 5:55 am (is time moving concurrently in the future as in the past or the present as in the past?) and Blair plays solitaire. Does he sleep? He does get a voice over.

 

Adam  has found Eve missing. His green sweater looks a bit different. The two discuss Eve. Adam thinks she always wants to be alone and that “I am not as stupid as you seem to think I am.”

 

 

Adam tells Blair he has said 100 times that Eve needs time to get adjusted.

 

Blair promises Adam that Eve will care about him. He asks if hasn’t he always kept his promises. If you count that he’s told them both that they would be out of here shortly, he has. Adam says, “Yes.” Adam leaves for his room to let Nicholas handle it. No reprise.

 

Blair plays with his ring. He’s lied to Adam that Eve went for a walk along the beach and has not been gone long (she has and Nicholas thinks on it in a few moments in his voice over).

 

Nicholas gets a short voice over before…

 

Eve appears and Blair misses her appearance from thin air but finds the book of the Collins Family History. As he looks through it, Eve hides the note from Peter behind the clock on the mantle. He asks what she is hiding and she asks what would she be hiding. Blair, “I don’t know. But you better begin to cooperate with me.” 

 

They discuss Adam. She promises to make him believe she loves him and becomes very cooperative. Blair asks why and she knows he will destroy her if she is not. He wants her to obey him, stay away from Jeff Clark and Victoria Winters. She tells him she is afraid of Nicholas, who doesn’t trust her at all, more now than ever.

 

Liz wears purple or pink. Vicki has her wedding gown on. Liz says they couldn’t have asked for a nicer day for Vicki’s wedding. Vicki has never been so happy and Liz says she is too. We hear squeaks. Vicki admits she is happy and fearful at the same time. Liz asks what could go wrong…

 

Vicki says, “I don’t know.” 

 

We hear hammering in the background. When she leaves, Liz tells her she will see her at breakfast and kisses her. It is her wish that Vicki’s day be happy and Vicki be happy.

 

Eve Voice over. She has a package ready to send to Vicki.

 

Later, she returns from sending it (HOW? Did she leave it on the doorstep?). The sound is low.

 

Also on the right side, there is a shadow of someone moving. It is 10:05am. He sees her coming from outside and runs to the door to wait for her to come in. She is cheerful to him and says good morning. She went for a long walk. He says, “You’ve been very gone for a very long time.”

 

Adam vs Eve over her walks alone. “I lost track of the time,” she tells him the same thing she told Nicholas earlier. She tells him she was walking in the woods and when he claims Nicholas told him the beach was where she was walking, she claims Nicholas was mistaken.

 

When Adam presses her, she explains he is wanted by the police and if anyone sees him he would be in trouble.

 

And this is why Adam is such a tragic figure and feels so dominated and confined: Adam IS a dynamic figure but by having such a complicated past and past storyline with the police and Liz and Carolyn and David and Roger and Barnabas, he’s confined to hiding and living indoors mostly. It’s like a caged animal.

 

He asks her if there is someone else, “Eve, you are very beautiful and many men would want you and if there is someone else I want to know about it.”

 

 

Eve says, “I don’t know what to say.”  Literally? She seems to be looking at the camera or the teleprompter. “You’re not knowing the truth about me hurts me.”

 

“IDU.”

 

Adam tells her she hates him and acts that way and in how she acts. “I do?” 

 

She acts all innocent. Eve tells him she does not care about his scars and she thinks he is handsome. They kiss twice. Adam feels he should apologize for thinking there was another man. “Right now if there is someone, I think I’d kill him.”  They kiss again.

 

Vicki asks Liz to borrow her car for a drive into town to pick up some things. FINALLY SOMETHING NORMAL again that links the strangeness to the real world.

 

It’s been a long time for talks about town and cars. And keys. When Liz asks Vicki what kind of flowers she will get, Vicki says that Peter likes roses.

 

Vicki asks Liz not to tell anyone. Liz will not. Vicki says she called Jeff Peter; Liz says, “I know.” 

 

They discuss her trip to the past. Vicki will try to make believe she just made it up.

 

Eve apologizes to Adam. Have they just…which brings me to a soap question: DOES ANYONE ON DS ever ever have sex? It does not appear so. Adam has to let Eve go on her walks. She has to get out sometimes; he cannot due to the police.

 

Eve voice over, she TRULY and REALLY detests Adam.

 

Adam tells Blair that Eve loves him and he wonders if Nicholas did this, “But you can do so many strange things.”  Blair tells him he has no control over human emotions. “I have no control over human emotions. Now if Eve has learned to love you, she came to it of her own accord as I told you she would.” He promises they will leave soon. Adam is very happy—he claims he’s never been so happy in his life and leaves.

 

Eve comes out and Blair wonders why she is being so cooperative now. He does not trust her. She knows she will be destroyed if she steps out of line. She told him she would keep her end of  their bargain. Nicholas toys with his ring.

 

Vicki returns to Collinwood and Liz. Mike shadow. We also hear something that sounds like rolling or maybe thunder?

 

Music starts late in the scene and it is the “nice” music. Vicki opens a necklace that was sent by Miss Norris, a nurse from the foundling home. The necklace had been in Miss Norris’ family for generations and Vicki used to admire it so. When Vicki was a little girl, Norris used to let her wear it on special occasions.

 

There, she used to think she was alone, felt alone but she was not at all alone. Liz tells her there are many people that care about her judging from the gifts.

 

Vicki opens Eve’s gift and finds the book that she left in the past. Liz says, “That’s impossible.”  WHY? It could have survived that long into the present. The card states that it is from PETER. The music clanks and the credits shake a bit.

 

Review: Oddly , the villains are boring again and Vicki and Liz seem their old selves from 1966, talking of some normal things. Not sure if Miss Norris was ever mentioned in the series at the start. Still, this is also kind of boring. I wrote that almost 15 years ago so I don’t think it’s boring and I don’t think the villains are either now. I sort of like this episode.                               

 



John: Poor Adam, fished in by a lying woman. Where's Carolyn when he really needs her?

Christine: Adam is a dolt! If Eve really loved him, she'd buy him a new sweater.

John: Since when does Liz have a car? More importantly, even if she does have a car, why would she always carry the keys with her? The only time she seems to leave Collinwood is via ambulance!

Christine: She has probably always had the car, though Carolyn may be the only one to drive it. Since she wasn't around, Vicki had to ask Liz to borrow it. I wonder if Carolyn will be back in time for the wedding, and if David will be around to be the ringbearer, as promised by Jeff Clark.

John: The Collins' family history book has returned to its rightful home. The only problem is, sending it saying it came from Peter all but assures that Vicki will know it's some kind of trick!

Christine: How is it that Liz didn't recognize the Collins family history book? And what's up with Vicki opening presents before the wedding anyway? I didn't think she was going to be able to open the present from the foundling home. It looked like the poor girl has never opened a present before.


Dark Shadows Before I Die: Dark Shadows Episode 624 - 11/14/68


Dark Shadows bloopers to watch out for:

When Eve returns to Nicholas’ house and finds Adam waiting for her in the hall, the boom mic isn’t picking them up properly — their voices sound far away. On the wall to the right, you can see the shadow of the boom mic operator moving closer to the actors.

Vicki has a hell of a time unwrapping her first wedding present.



At this point, the dialogue becomes extremely Dark Shadows-y.

Vicki:  I wish I could stop remembering what happened to me, but I can’t!

Liz:  Vicki… I don’t pretend to understand your experience in the past, but it’s only natural for you to think about it.

Vicki:  I don’t want to. It upsets Jeff, and it confuses me. I wish that I could pretend that I’d just made it all up.

Liz:  That’s what you should do.

So there’s your challenge: make sense of that. See if you can figure out what these two people actually believe about how the universe works. It can’t be done.


Episode 624: Lost and Foundling | Dark Shadows Every Day
























Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DARK SHADOWS 597

DARK SHADOWS 599

DARK SHADOWS 603